POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Realistic subsurface scattering? : Re: Realistic subsurface scattering? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:49:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic subsurface scattering?
From: nemesis
Date: 4 Mar 2009 17:40:00
Message: <web.49af023180e98aa0773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a (free) renderer that does realistic subsurface scattering,
> >
> >   Something like this?
> >
> > http://www.luxrender.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2294&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
>
> Don't know - it's difficult to tell from a shot whether the materials were
> modelled based on actual measured physical properties, or just diligently
> tweaked until they looked just right, isn'it it?
>
> I'm after a renderer with a realistic - not only convincing - subsurface
> scattering model. And I'm after a renderer, not just some shots.

This is the thread for that image:
http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1431

It uses a predefined material with a few parameters that don't seem to bear much
resemblance to any accurate physical properties.

Aqsis, being a Renderman system, should be even farther away from physical
correctness than unbiased renderers like Lux and Indigo.